Sunday, March 4, 2012

Reading Post - Perpetually Waiting

A fortnight, if not more is how long The Well of Ascension, next book in the Mistborn series, has been checked out.  Even when it does become available I will have to wait for them to ship it to the Aboite branch unless I want to make the trek out to the Main Library.  Regardless in the meantime I must find other means of reading.  Bored with my meager collection of books and not wanting to start a whole new book I find fulfillment from the random button on wikipedia.  From abusing the random button I've learned that the scope of articles covered on wikipepdia truly knows no end.  Article genres range from pleasantly interesting to morbidly obscure, it's a gamble as to what you'll get.

One favorite article that I stumbled onto was the tale of Hugh Glass.  Hugh is a man of legend, a man who conquered the wrath a nature, a man who makes Bear Grylls appear as a feeble boy scout.  A fur trader out with his cohorts adventuring in the wilderness of South Dakota when they get a bit too close to some cubs.  The mother attacks swiping the rifle out of Hugh's hands.  Glass slays the attacker with only a hunting knife.  However he suffered great wounds as well and was left unconscious.  His friends leave him for dead assuming he's long gone.  Glass awakens a bloody mess and has little more than his determination.  Glass proceeds to crawl 200 miles to find the men who left him to die.  The story is one I find myself reflecting over during my downtime from the world.  What must Glass have been thinking during such a trek lasting over six months of nonstop crawling?  A monument now stands where the mauling is guessed to have happened.  If I ever find myself traveling west of Illinois I think it'd be a cool trip to make to see the monument giving tribute to the impossible feats of Hugh Glass.

No comments:

Post a Comment