Friday, January 20, 2012

Launching Into Mistborn

    I won't equivocate,  I couldn't wait to complete the reading of Things I find Funny by Judd Apatow once I got my hands on Mistborn: The Final Empire.  The worn edged embody the many hands that have held this novel before the eyes that indulged in its contents show tribute to the quality of what is to come.  The warm inviting scent of library beckoned me the instant I came into contact with this paperback gem.
    Rushing into the story I wasn't sure what to expect other than that I was into fantasy genre.  I began reading and was told of a plantation owner in a world where "ashfalls (from the sky) weren't that uncommon".  The skaa are an oppressed people who are used and abused in order to complete the farm work under these horrendous planting conditions.  The Lord Ruler is a terrible ruler who has taken over the world.  We're introduced to the criminal mastermind and free thinker Kelsier.
     The first 150 pages moved a bit slowly.  There was a lot of background as to why the darker situation is the way it is.  Though I suppose this can be expected in an unconventional book as this one.  The whole chain of order is flipped upside down from the norm with an evil Lord Ruler oppressing the protagonist right from the beginning.
     The story thus far has reminded me of the atrocities that happened during the Holocaust.  The Lord Ruler signifying to me Hitler.  The way the Skaa are an oppressed people forced to be beaten and working the fields.  At times Skaa are even beaten to death by their owners simply to make an example so the others work harder to tend to the brown and brittle plantation.  Mistborn is quickly picking up in pace and so far is looking to be a very thought provoking and interesting read. 

4 comments:

  1. Good job making inferences with other things in history.

    From,
    Happy

    ReplyDelete
  2. The intro, as well as your description of the story hooked me into reading this post further.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I appreciate your style of writing. Even your description of the physical book itself was capturing and lured me into your blog. Your connections are interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, so I'm not the only one into fantasy. In all probability, the author probably got inspiration fron history, most writers do, so this book should serve to be no less than the insurrection tale of the century. Remember: every bad guy deserves what's coming his way.

    ReplyDelete