Monday, January 9, 2012

Literacy Narrative

    My reading habits that I have today have roots beginning fairly early in my youth.  Before I could read my mom would read to me before bed.  Once I had the ability to read myself she would have me reading on the same nightly schedule.  The books I read were determined by whatever she would buy me and whatever I'd check out from the school library.  My favorite books were any fiction or fantasy.  I liked reading out of the ordinary things as they're something unique from my day to day life.
    I continued reading for fun on my own throughout my earlier schooling.  The first book I recall earning the title as "my favorite" and one that I read countless times was Danger In the Desert by T.S. Fields.  I first found this book in the school library in Fourth grade and repeatedly would check it out and renew it.  As I got a bit older and books became assignments my interest in reading began to debilitate.  In Seventh grade I picked up Eragon by Christopher Paolini from a friend and this was the second book I considered one of my favorites.  After reading that series I haven't read many book worth noting outside of school required readings.  I still read however, mostly online reading of stories and fan fictions written by friends.
    Since beginning this class I've been more motivated to pick up my old reading habits and begin reading nightly again.  I'll be beginning with Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson and will be reading that series.  Currently my list of books to read after completing the Mistborn series is as follows:  A Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin and The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins.  This list may be subject to change and is very open to additions.

No comments:

Post a Comment